Sunday, June 16, 2013

Catching Up-35 Weeks

This is a week late, but the last week has been crazy! I originally took the week off to relax at home, hang out with the nieces and get ready to bring Kenzie home. Unfortunately my week did not go as planned. I relaxed Monday and Tuesday but woke up Wednesday sick. The first (and hopefully only) cold of my pregnancy. The bummer is it really hit me hard and I was down for the count the rest of the week.

To top it off, on Friday we had a minor “we need to go to the hospital” moment. I thought my water had broken (it had not) so I made Jeff rush me to the hospital. By the time we got there, I had no other symptoms and started to feel a bit silly. Yet the staff kept reassuring me it was better safe than sorry so we made our way to observation. I was hooked up to monitor Kenzie’s heart and any contractions and was left alone for about a half hour. While Jeff was getting some water, a nurse came in and did an exam confirming I was not at all dilated and Kenz was indeed not making a grand entrance 6 weeks early.

photo

By this time Jeff had come back and the nurse did a quick sonogram to confirm how much fluid was still left for Kenz, and all was good. Until she looked at the contraction print out. She looked at me and asked if I had any pain since I was having a contraction at that moment. I said no to which she responded that I was having irregular contractions this whole time. Oops!

I was monitored for another hour and finally released with strict instructions to return should I have more than 6 contractions in an hour. (Thankfully they are random and the most I’ve had is 3 in one hour since then).

I felt a little silly when it was all said and done, especially since the women on either side of me were in active labor. One woman came in dilated 8 cm! But at least we got our “practice” run out of the way and are ready for the real deal.

Only 5 more weeks to go!!