Saturday, March 12, 2011

Confession IV

I wanted to give up running.

Last week during the end of another crappy run, I informed Jeff I was done.  I had no desire to continue running.  Not just this night, but any night. 

Our runs had been pretty craptastic.  We were doing 2-2.5 miles at a time but there was a lot of walking and the time on the Garmin seemed to be increasing every run.  I had still been having trouble breathing and couldn’t get my ashtma under control.  (There may have also been mentions about my weight, babies and my age-just saying.)  I am just not a natural runner. I thought I would have accepted that and pushed past it to be able to already be competing in 10k’s and training towards the Disneyland Half Marathon.  But that just seems to be slipping away.

Yeah, yeah, cue the mini violins.  But I’m just being honest. 

Poor Jeff, I think I took him by surprise.  He was quiet at first and then came up with a suggestion.

We start over.

WHAT? 

He suggested we start at a mile and really conquer that mile.  I was skeptical but the idea of cutting back 1.5 miles from our run seemed enticing. 

So we did. 

One mile in 10:53.  A new PR, only by a couple of seconds, but it felt good.  It was also the first time we ran 1 mile without stopping in a long time. 

I needed that. 

Here’s to stepping back.  Let’s see how this goes, the 3rd time around.  Winking smile