Sunday, November 21, 2010

Confession

I am not a natural runner.

My mom can easily get back into running after taking months off and can run 3 miles no problem.

My brother can easily run 1.5 miles in shoes 1 size too small AND right after smoking a cigarette.

My husband can run backwards and keep up with me.

My sister in law once ran with me (when I was in shape mind you) and called it a warm up.  Me?  I was ready to crash.

I am not a natural runner.  When I run 1 mile without stopping, I’m ecstatic!  I started running back in June and expected (no lie) to be able to to easily run 3 miles without stopping by now.  Heck, Jeff and I even talked about doing the Disney 1/2 Marathon in September 2011.  We all remember the 5k that ended up being merely a donation.  Eager to get make up for that bust, Jeff and I talked about running a 5k on vacation in December.  As the time draws closer, we decided against running.  The race is more like a running club getting together and calling it a “race”.  Their website says if you are running more than a 15 minute mile (I am) to bring your own timer. 

So where does that leave me now?  I really want to do a race.  There is one in Irvine on 1/8 but I’m hesitant to pay the $35 fee because what if I get hurt/sick or am just plain too out of shape to do it.  My ego could not handle another fail.  The only other race after that is in March in Chino. 

For now, I’m just getting out and running.  Jeff and I just did a mile and it felt good. We plan on running again tomorrow or Tuesday, depending on how we feel.  Stay tuned and I’ll keep you updated.