Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Our last day on the water

During dinner on Friday night, we decided that the Chavez’s and Jeff and I would get up early Saturday morning to find a spot on the river.  We wanted the early start since the weekend rush was setting in.

We were able to snag the spot right next to the beach we were at the prior day, perfect!  The only drawback was that there were large rocks close to the shore and red ants on the beach.  We got some spray to deal with the ants and a heavy lifter to deal with the rocks.  Smile

IMG_1029

Nana and Tata decided to stay back at the hotel for the day but the rest of the family came out to spend our last day in the sun. 

Every family brought snacks so we ended up with a huge variety.  Kalea was chowing down on the pistachios and even swimming out to Danny to give him handfuls at a time. 

IMG_1031

When we were trying to find a spot in the morning, the sea doo was giving us a TON of trouble.  Apparently it had not been used in 5 years and finally decided to take a vacation from the Solanos. 

We did try to take it out a few times.  First Kalea took it out.

IMG_1032

IMG_1034

Just kidding, Danny went with her but eventually had to be towed in by Jeff. 

IMG_1035

But then Kalea and Hailey decided to snag it for a trip of their own. 

IMG_1039

IMG_1042

The family…

IMG_1044

IMG_1045

Some time after the above picture was taken, I decided to move all the ice chests and bins into the shade.  As I was refilling the cooler, I suddenly hear “Snake!”  I looked to my left and not 2 feet away is a snake slithering towards the rocks.  I instantly reacted jumping over the cooler and one of the chairs. 

It was hilarious in hindsight but scary when it happened.  I’m glad Nana was not there!  The only casualty I had is a bruise on my toe. 

Noelle slept through the whole thing. 

IMG_1046

IMG_1047 IMG_1048

Brooklyn joined her after awhile.  Winking smile

IMG_1052

Before we knew it, it was time for Vanessa and Doug to head back to the shore to go home.  They were leaving a day early since they had plans for Sunday.

IMG_1050

IMG_1051

IMG_1054

The snake was not the only wild animal we encountered.  There was a roadrunner hanging out on our side of the beach pretty much the whole day.

IMG_1055

IMG_1057 IMG_1058

We packed up around 6 pm again to try to make an early dinner.  Unfortunately due to some snafus, we ended up eating late again.  Oh well, I had a margarita with dinner so didn’t mind it too much.  Smile

The next morning we got up for one last meal with the family and hit the road around noon.  (Much later than we wanted…meals seemed to always take us 2-3 hours.  We’ll need to fix that next time.)

IMG_1059

IMG_1060

All in all, I had way more fun that I thought I would.  The temps were always in the 100s but it wasn’t bad at all on the water.  When the breeze kicked it, I would actually start shivering!  There was some mention about coming back again next year and I would be totally for it.  Just with some better scheduling/meal planning.

Jeff and I want to say a big thank you to my dad for everything on this trip.  We really enjoyed ourselves and are very grateful!