Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The time my doctor told me to take a “little” Xanax

Two weeks ago I thought I was coming down with a chest cold.  I waited for the cough to come, but it never really did.  After the initial 3 days, my chest continued to feel heavy and I had trouble breathing on and off. 

Since I have asthma (what, you didn’t know???) I assumed my “cold” was affecting it and decided to finally go into the doctor after I had taken my inhaler 3-4 times with NO relief.

My doctor asked me if I was wheezing.  Nope.

What?  I wasn’t wheezing?  Nope doc, just felt like I have a heavy chest. 

She listened to me breath and then, as politely as possible, told me I was just hyperventilating. 

WHAT!  (I said, while hyperventilating.)

The doc said I was most likely reacting to some kind of anxiety, causing me to breath irregular and therefore, hyperventilate. 

She looked at me, completely serious, and said “when it gets really bad, you can just take a “little” Xanax, go to bed and you’ll feel better!”  Oh, that’s it!  A little Xanax (not a medium or large) and poof, no more breathing problems.

She gave me a prescription for 7, because like she warned me THEY ARE ADDICTING. 

So, did I fill my Xanax prescription?

tn

Nope, I’m drinking my anti-anxiety meds thankyouverymuch. 

So if the next time you see me, I’m doing downward dog, it’s because I’m anxious.  Pour me a glass of wine.  Seriously.  What are you waiting for?  I’m in downward dog RIGHT NOW!