Saturday, March 10, 2012

Operation Don’t Hate the LR

Was a bust. 

But it was probably mostly my fault.  The experts all say to run when it’s cool, hydrate properly and fuel when necessary.  We ran at midday when the sun was almost the highest in the sky, drank little more than a cup of coffee this morning, and had a heavy egg, ham and cheese croissant for breakfast.  Based on that, you can assume this isn’t going to be good.

IMG_0262 (640x480)

(Not where we ran, but posts are always better w/pictures.)

The first mile was in shade and actually started off pretty good.  It went by quickly and onto the second mile we went.  The second mile ends with an uphill that is tough mentally and on my legs.  But finished it we did. 

  • Mile 1 – 12:02
  • Mile 2 – 12:40

IMG_0264 (640x480)

By now the sun was high up in the air and we were getting hot.  We had almost finished our water bottle and still had 3 more miles to go.  It was this and the heat that made us decide to end the run outside. 

  • Mile 3 – 12:34

And move the run inside to the treadmill.  Our bedroom was SO much cooler with the ceiling fan AND the treadmill fan on.  I ran for 1.3 more miles before my legs needed a break and walked the last .3 as a cool down. 

  • Mile 4 – 12:36
  • Last .6 – 9:16

And with that, 4.6 miles were done.  It was supposed to be a 5 mile run w/no walking but I’ll take what I can get. 

IMG_0265 (640x480)

Usually the LR would be the last run for the week, but we skipped a mid week run and I’m really trying to stick to 3 runs a week.  So on tomorrow’s schedule, while Jeff is off mountain bike riding, an easy 2 miler to warm up what I’m sure will be my sore legs. 

Operation Don’t Hate the Long Run…not so much.  But there is always next weeks run!