Thursday, January 13, 2011

Slow and Steady

Tonight Jeff and I went on a 2 mile run.  Our prior plan of attack was to run at a sub 12 min/mile pace for the 1st mile and then whatever for the 2nd mile.  Doing this generally resulted in a 14 min/mile for the 2nd mile, averaging out to 13:10 for the 2 miles. 

You may also remember that while on vacation in San Francisco, we pushed ourselves for the first time and it resulted in a 25:35 2 mile run.  Again, running 11:47 the first mile and whatever 25:35-11:47 equals, as a 2nd mile.

Tonight, I suggested to Jeff that we actually pace ourselves.  Let’s run .5 miles and then walk until recovered.  Then run another .5 miles and so on. 

What did it do?  Resulted in a better average pace for 2 miles and a PR 2 mile time.  Holla!

In fact, when we hit the 2 mile point I almost (I said almost) felt we could have gone a little further.  Pretty good since there is a 5k in February that I want to run. 

Who would have thought slow and steady actually ‘won’ the race? 

IMG_7849

2 miles in 25:22, a 12:41 average pace. 

P.S. I L-O-V-E my new Garmin, can you tell?  Winking smile