Monday, December 5, 2011

A Running Milestone

*Warning:  the below post includes a picture of a bleeding body part.  If you are squeamish, seriously just suck it up. 

In preparation of our 6 mile race in January, Jeff and I had a 4.5 mile run scheduled for yesterday-this is a half mile further than I’ve ever gone.  We sucked it up (he’s getting over a cold and I’m just lazy) and headed out.  My goal for the run was to go slow and steady.

The first half of the run was just okay.  My legs felt heavy but for once, my asthma was like Lindsey Lohan on a community service day…no where to be found. 

When we hit the two mile mark, I mentally got in the game.  As always the second half of the run is mentally easier.  Until I started feeling a tiny prick TWSS poking TWSS pain on my middle toe on the right foot.  I tried to change my gait but it didn’t work.

At 3.5 miles I told Jeff I had to stop.  At first he misinterpreted me and started to shout encouragements – “come on babe, you got this”.  I yelled no, I need to stop because something is up with my foot. 

I parked myself on some poor person’s curb, took off my shoe, took off my sock and saw this.

IMG_2033 (640x480)

Well that would be blood.  On my good Lululemon sock.  And then the culprit. 

IMG_2029 (640x480)

Apparently I got a blister on our run and then it popped and then began to bleed.  And I had a mile to go.  With no other choice, I jammed my sock in between my bleeding toe and kept running.

Ran with a bleeding blister – check.

4.5 miles done in 53:10 – an 11:48 pace and a new PDR.

IMG_2027 (640x480)

And the best part, my asthma NEVER acted up.  It felt awesome to be able to breath the entire run without feeling like I was carrying an elephant on my chest. 

20 more days until Christmas!